Vegan, Jane Austen student, Minimalist, Reader, Librarian

Sunday, October 25, 2009

Pea Soup with Garlic

Music: New Moon, original motion picture soundtrack



I can’t believe how quick and easy this soup was to make. It was a chilly damp day & my mouth was sore from the dentist so soup just sounded good to me. It's a very fast & very nutritious soup. If you have any leftover grains (like rice or quinoa) in the fridge, they would be a wonderful addition to this soup.


This took me maybe 20 minutes to make, really!


From The Complete Book of Vegan Cooking, this is Pea Soup with Garlic. As always, I've tweaked things so this is written as I made it:


2 tbsp olive oil

2-3 garlic cloves, minced

8 C frozen (or fresh) peas

5 C vegetable stock (I used 2 cubes vegetable bouillon to 5 C water)

2 tbsp soy margarine

sea salt & freshly ground pepper to taste

  1. Heat olive oil in a soup pot & add garlic. Saute for 2-3 minutes (make sure garlic doesn’t brown) then add peas. Cook 1-2 minutes more, then add the stock.
  2. Bring soup to a boil, then reduce to simmer, cover & cook 5-6 minutes until peas are tender. Remove from heat & blend with hand blender to desired consistency. As I always like little chunks, I didn’t do it until completely smooth.
  3. Season with salt & pepper to taste & add margarine.

I ate it with the leftover Carrot & Nut Biryani and some toasted sprouted bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment