Vegan, Jane Austen student, Minimalist, Reader, Librarian

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

New Salad & Biryani

Music: playlist on my iPod (That70sList)














I love celery. But I use it mostly as a spice or herb in my kitchen. I also love to eat it alone, with sea salt or even peanut butter because of its sharp, crisp taste. I never in a million years thought to use it in a salad!


This is Celery & Coconut Salad with Lime, adapted from The Complete Book of Vegan Cooking, as I made it:


4 tbsp lite coconut milk

2 garlic cloves, minced

juice of one lime

8 long celery sticks, grated (I used the food processor)

1-2 tbsp shredded unsweetened coconut (I use Bob’s Red Mill)

Sea salt & freshly ground pepper to taste

few sprigs of fresh parsley

1/2 C sweet brown rice (leftover from what Jim cooked on Sunday)


In a small bowl, mix together the coconut milk, garlic, & lime juice. In large bowl, mix together the rest of the ingredients. Add as much dressing as you want. I store leftover dressing & salad separately in the fridge & mix together later as needed.


I’ve made biryani recipes before, but this one caught my eye because it mixes two of my favorite ingredients: carrots & nuts. Again, I never thought to use them together. This was absolutely delicious! Again, adapted from The Complete Book of Vegan Cooking:


2 tbsp vegetable (or canola) oil

1 onion, chopped

1 garlic clove, minced

1-2 carrots, grated (again, I used the good old food processor--one of my best friends!)

1 C basmati rice (you can also use brown basmati or jasmine, just cook it longer)

1/2 tsp ground cumin

2 tsp ground coriander

2 C vegetable stock

1 bay leaf

3/4 C walnuts & cashews

sea salt & ground pepper to taste

fresh parsley for garnish

  1. In a large, shallow pan, heat the oil & saute onion for 3-4 minutes. Add garlic & carrots & cook another 3 minutes. Add the rice & spices and cook for another 1-2 minutes stirring to coat the grains in the oil.
  2. Pour in the stock, add the bay leaf, & season with salt & pepper. Bring to a boil, then lower heat, cover, & simmer very gently for 15 minutes (longer if using brown rice).
  3. Remove from heat & let stand 5 minutes (with lid on). Remove bay leaf.
  4. Stir in the nuts & garnish with parsley.

I served the salad & biryani together with a side of avocado. Both were excellent the next day as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment