Vegan, Jane Austen student, Minimalist, Reader, Librarian

Friday, October 16, 2009

Israeli Couscous

Music: The Carpenters, Carpenters (remastered) **

The other night at the Inn Season, I enjoyed a side salad made with Israeli couscous, fresh parsley, peppers, & tomatoes. It was beautiful as well as delicious. Larger than regular couscous but smaller than pasta, it adds a pretty touch to salads or soups.

I'm attending a party tonight to celebrate with former co-workers I worked with at a library (almost ten years ago) where we all shared something unique in common: we all left within 1 1/2 years of each other because we were unhappy with the management. Now yet another manager has left so we decided it's time to celebrate once again.

We call ourselves Survivors of Baldwin (SOB for short). About once a year, we get together to catch up and congratulate ourselves on being in much better jobs! There are over 20 of us and they are a wonderful group of librarians.

So I decided to make this salad as my contribution to the potluck. From Vegan Express, this is Herb Garden Couscous and Black Bean Salad.

1 C couscous

1 15-16oz can organic black beans, rinsed & drained

1 large celery stalk, diced

1 medium red or orange bell pepper, diced

1 C grape tomatoes, chopped

1/4 C chopped green olives (I used Spanish)

1/2 C chopped fresh parsley

2 tbsp chopped fresh dill (I used 1 tsp dried)

2 scallions (or 1/2 small onion), finely chopped

2 tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice

2 tbsp olive oil

Sea salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste



Cook couscous according to package directions. Since I used Israeli couscous, it called for first lightly browning 1 1/3 C of the couscous in 1 tbsp of olive oil in a 2 quart saucepan on medium high for about 5 minutes. Then I added 1 3/4 C water slowly, brought it to a boil, then reduced to simmer, covered, for 12 minutes until all the water was absorbed. Let cool uncovered for about 5 minutes after fluffing with a fork.


In a large bowl, combine the rest of the ingredients. You could serve this over lettuce (such as Bibb, Butter, or Boston) or enjoy rolled up in a wrap! Yum!





























**I heard "Rainy Days & Mondays" on AM580 the other morning & was instantly transported to a memory of being at Minnesota Fabrics (remember that?), in the 1970s in Allen Park, when I was a little girl, with my grandmother (whom I called Tata). She was selecting fabric to make a dress for me; every year she would make me a dress to start the first day of school. I could almost smell the fabrics, see myself walking behind her as she moved from one table to the next, asking me how I liked this or that, while this song played in the store. It's a wonderful memory! :)

1 comment:

  1. Such a great salad. Ive already passed this recipe to my mom and my newly "eating more healthy" friend.
    -Katie

    ReplyDelete