Vegan, Jane Austen student, Minimalist, Reader, Librarian

Friday, October 2, 2009

I Am Not the Vegan Police, Really!

Music: Dick Powell in Hollywood


It’s kind of funny, but whenever someone finds out that I’m vegan, they always tell me, “Well, I don’t eat a lot of meat.” But what they don't know is that I really don’t care. I’m not the Vegan Police, much less the Food Police. I don’t know why people feel compelled to tell me this. Guilt, perhaps? But why? I don’t believe I act judgmental when I explain how or why I am vegan. At least, I try very hard not to. I just think the best way is to give people information and live by example. If it inspires someone, great! If not, it’s your body to do with as you wish. And I’m the last person to tell anyone what they should do with their body.


(Oddly enough, I get the same reaction when people discover I don’t own a television or a dishwasher. First it’s incredulity, then they say, “Well, I don’t watch that much television.” Really, I don’t care). I've always felt like a unique person, very different from most people. It used to give me a hard time but I've come to terms with it now that I'm older.


What I do know is that I feel better than I ever have in my entire life, even when I was a teenager or in my twenties. I’ve just begun my fifth decade and cannot believe how good I feel, every day. I sleep through the night every night, my skin is clear, I am rarely sick, my horrible menstrual cramping (which used to debilitate me to the point of missing school or work) has disappeared (without the use of birth control pills), I no longer have indigestion at all, I eliminate three (sometimes four) times a day (I know, gross, right? But it’s very important for the body to rid itself of toxins, cancer cells, etc.), I am not on any prescription drugs, and I no longer crave certain foods (such as chocolate-covered Hostess donuts, Coca Cola, & Cheetos--yes, I used to eat those things).


Many people ask me if being vegan and eating organic isn't more expensive. Perhaps. I don't know as I have never had a food budget. I do know that I hate wasting food so I only buy what I think I can eat. But I’d rather spend the money on my health than shell out a lot more in expensive chronic diseases, surgeries, & procedures later on in my life. Not to mention feeling poorly the older I become and thinking that's "just what happens when you get old." I know several people many years younger than I am who are on lots of prescription drugs and have many ailments and who also happen to eat a very poor diet. I can only sympathize. If they ask my advice, I offer it but I don’t start a debate or nag at them. It just makes me sad to see them suffer that way, not knowing there's something they can do about it.


So if you meet me and discover I'm a vegan, don’t think I’m judging you. I’m just living my life the way I see fit for me. If you want to learn about it, ask me and I’ll be happy to share!

1 comment:

  1. :-)

    Not only are you a unique person, but many of us can learn much from you. Especially being less defensive (when there's no reason to be defensive) and non-judgmental.

    Thanks for being you!

    ReplyDelete