Vegan, Jane Austen student, Minimalist, Reader, Librarian

Friday, October 23, 2009

Homemade Body Buttter
















As readers of this blog may or may not know, I create a lot of my own personal care products. Body lotion is one of them. But with the cold weather coming, I thought I needed something a little thicker. I get very dry skin in the winter, especially on my legs, so this is a wonderfully rich cream. And it's so easy to make. Really and truly it is!

From Natural Beauty at Home by Janice Cox:

1/4 C grated cocoa butter (I just use it spooned from the jar; I buy it at Nutri-Foods in downtown Royal Oak)
1 tbsp coconut oil
2 tbsp sesame oil (NOT toasted)
1 tbsp avocado oil
1 tbsp grated beeswax (yes, I realize this isn't vegan, however, I haven't found an alternative to using products from bees; I also buy the beeswax & all my oils from Nutri-Foods)

Combine all ingredients in a glass measuring cup. Place the cup in a pan with about 1-2 inches of water (I usually use a saute pan). This is a water bath. Melt the ingredients and wax.

Pour the melted mix into a clean jar and let cool. Jim's grandmother kindly saved me some old glass Avon jars so that's what I used. The recipe says to stir the cooled mixture, but I didn't. It still spreads nicely. Just don't put it in the fridge or you won't be able to spread it.


No comments:

Post a Comment