Vegan, Jane Austen student, Minimalist, Reader, Librarian

Friday, October 30, 2009

Carrot Slaw & More



This is the sweet brown rice that Jim bought at Holiday Market last weekend. It's a very short grained brown rice that cooks in about 40-45 minutes, plenty of time to cook something to fill some burritos!

Along with the rice, we made Larry's Refried Beans from How It All Vegan:

2 C cooked or canned beans (we used pinto)
1/2 C vegetable stock
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 C cilantro, chopped (we used 1 tbsp dried since we didn't have fresh)
1 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 Roma tomato, sliced (we used 1/4 C canned since there are no more tomatoes)

In a medium saucepan, cook all the ingredients on medium heat 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Mash slightly with a fork.

I also made my homemade salsa and to the burritos we added arugula & raw onions.



























For lunch the other day, I made a new recipe of a Carrot Slaw from Shortcut Vegan. It's a nice little addition to salads & sandwiches, like a hummus pita with arugula & raw onions.

2 tbsp olive oil

2-3 cloves garlic, minced

3 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon (or lime) juice

parsley or cilantro, fresh, chopped, to taste

1 tsp paprika

1/2 tsp ground cumin

1/2 tsp salt

4-5 large carrots, scrubbed & quartered

1/4 C dried currants (or cranberries), optional


In a food processor, blend oil, garlic, parsley, & spices. Pour into a large bowl.


Add carrots to food processor & pulse until finely chopped. Toss carrots with currants & dressing until well coated. This is great over salad greens or in a wrap or pita bread.



**In my family, there was ALWAYS music playing on the record player. My parents had a very diverse collection of Cuban & Mexican music (think Bene More, Trio Matamoros, etc.) as well as whatever was the rage (think disco). When I was about fourteen, I discovered their big band swing albums, thus forever dooming myself to geekdom. I fell in love with the sound, the vocalists and their harmonies (such as The Modernaires with Glenn Miller & The Pied Pipers with Tommy Dorsey, along with the solo singers Helen Forrest, Dick Haymes, Helen O'Connell, & Jo Stafford). I got their autographs and went to their shows at Meadow Brook Music Festival. In fact, I got to meet Helen Forrest and Tex Beneke when they played there. What sixteen year old does that? Weird, I know. But it was fun. To this day, I love the music and style of the 1940s.

No comments:

Post a Comment