Vegan, Jane Austen student, Minimalist, Reader, Librarian

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Banana Bread


Yeah. So I seem to to be baking again. It's that time of year! And I do love banana bread.

From BabyCakes by Erin McKenna, I halved this recipe. This is as I made it, so feel free to double it for the original, larger-sized loaf. Truth is, I didn't have enough bananas. And besides, there are only two people in this household so there you are.



1 C Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free All-Purpose Baking Flour

1 tsp baking powder

1 tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp xanthum gum (found at Nutri-Foods)

1/2 tsp sea salt

1/2 tsp ground cinnamon

1/4 C coconut oil

1/3 C agave nectar

1/3 C rice (or soy) milk

1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract

2-3 medium bananas, peeled & mashed


Preheat oven to 325 degrees & lightly grease a 7 x 4 x 3 inch loaf pan. I use Pam organic spray.


In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, xanthum gum, salt, & cinnamon. Then add the rest of the ingredients and stir well until smooth.


Pour batter into loaf pan and bake for 35 minutes, rotating 180 degrees after 20 minutes. Loaf is done when golden brown, it bounces back when lightly pressed, & toothpick inserted comes out clean.


Let loaf stand in pan for 10 minutes before turning carefully onto a cooling rack. Store covered tightly for up to 3 days. This also freezes well.


**I'm probably aging myself here, but that's okay. This album was very popular when I was in junior high. My brother got it (as a record!!) as a gift and we listened to it over and over way back in 1981! I still have it in my vinyl collection and listen to it (crackles and all) on my phonograph player. "What's that?!"


2 comments:

  1. It really does. I love banana bread also. I haven't had a loaf in a while though, so I may have to try this.

    ReplyDelete