Vegan, Jane Austen student, Minimalist, Reader, Librarian

Friday, September 4, 2009

"Veganizing" Recipes

Music: Bread, Anthology

I made an apricot almond bread in celebration of a friend's birthday the other day. I didn't take a picture but this recipe is for her!

My vegan cookbook's recipe called for applesauce but I didn't have any. So I pulled out my old Fanny Farmer Cook Book which has some wonderful classic quick bread recipes. The only things that weren't vegan in the recipe were margarine and an egg. And the three things I voluntarily changed were the bleached white flour with whole wheat pastry flour, orange extract with lemon extract (because I didn't have orange extract) and white sugar with unrefined sugar.

Replacing the margarine with soy margarine (I use Shedd's Willow Run) and the egg with 2 tbsp ground flaxseed meal makes this super easy recipe vegan:

1 1/2 C boiling water
1 1/2 C dried apricots, chopped
2 1/2 C whole wheat pastry flour
2 tbsp soy margarine
1 C unrefined sugar
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 C chopped almonds
2 tbsp ground flaxseed meal
1 tsp lemon extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly oil a bread loaf pan (I use organic Pam cooking spray). Put the apricots in a mixing bowl & pour the boiling water over them. Add the butter, sugar, salt, & flaxseed meal & stir. Allow to cool to lukewarm temperature. Stir in remaining ingredients and mix well. Pour into bread pan and bake about 60 minutes until toothpick inserted comes out clean and the bread is lightly browned. Wait ten minutes, then turn out onto cooling rack. You can also freeze this bread for later use, but it's delicious warm with a cup of tea!

No comments:

Post a Comment