Vegan, Jane Austen student, Minimalist, Reader, Librarian

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Apple Time



Aren’t these apples beautiful? They’re delicious, too.














You know it’s fall when there are apples galore at the Farmers’ Market. I like apples, really, I do, but I can’t help feeling sad that it really means summer’s officially over. I like the fall colors but it also makes me a little sad because the leaves are falling leaving, well, bare trees for the winter. In Michigan that means almost six months. My favorite color is green so I really miss that color in the winter landscape. Thank goodness for my cedar hedge in the backyard.


So, apples. My favorite are Gala for eating on their own. I had some guests over to share some lunch on Sunday so I made an apple pie. Gala isn't the right apple for that so I had Jim pick me up some baking apples. The recipe I used was from Babycakes. It calls for roasting the apples first before baking them in the pie. It’s the first recipe I’ve seen that has done that; usually you just toss the apples in the uncooked pie crust. Needless to say, these apples held up very well to baking & roasting. I asked Jim to buy Pink Lady & Granny Smith but he couldn't find either; so I'm not sure what kind of baking apples these are. He took the advice of the apple farmers.


They were so good I decided to use up the rest of the baking apples by roasting them to have in my muesli and Jim’s granola during the week as they keep well in the refrigerator up to one week.


To roast them, peel, core, & chop into 1/2 inch pieces. In a bowl, add 1/4 C to 1/2 C agave nectar (I used 1/2 C when I made the pie but then I was using 2 pounds of apples!), the juice of half to one lemon, & 1/2 to 1 tbsp ground cinnamon (again, I used a whole tbsp when I was using 2 pounds of apples). Adjust accordingly. Toss all together until apples are thoroughly coated. Then bake on a baking sheet covered in parchment paper at 325 degrees for 35 minutes, turning the pan 180 degrees after 20 minutes.


Morning muesli & granola. Yum. Oh, but here in these pictures, we used Gala raw chopped. I took these pictures a week before I got the idea to roast the baking apples. Still very good as Gala apples aren't too soft or too hard; even unpeeled.




1 comment:

  1. I love the addition of gala apples to your muesli and granola.It looks tasty.

    I have looked forward to Autumn. I can't wait to dig into some apples.

    ReplyDelete