Vegan, Jane Austen student, Minimalist, Reader, Librarian

Thursday, August 27, 2009

"Short-Cut" Salads

Music: Incubus, A Crow Left of the Murder

I must buy this book: Short-Cut Vegan by Lorna Sass.

I picked it up at the library (of course). I can't remember if a co-worker told me about it or not. Probably. My co-workers always let me know of new vegan books to add to my library. I've made several recipes just this week from it and they are so easy and delicious, even non-vegans can love it!

Black Bean-Tomato Salsa Salad

1 3/4 C cooked black beans (or 1 15-oz. can, drained & rinsed)
1 14.5-oz. can diced tomatoes (I used 1 1/2 C fresh diced from the garden instead)
1 jalapeno, seeded & minced
1/2 C finely minced onion
1/3 to 1/2 C fresh cilantro (I used basil but you could also use parsley)
3-4 tbsp fresh squeezed lime juice
1/2 tsp sea salt, or to taste

Combine all & let sit for at least 30 minutes for flavors to blend. This is great alone, over lettuce or rice, or even as a dip with corn chips or in a burrito!

Pasta with Broccoli & Olives (serve either warm or as a room temp. salad)

1 1/4 lbs. broccoli (I used 2 small bunches from the Farmers' Market)
8 oz. med. size pasta such as penne, fusilli, or shells (I used fusilli)
1/3 C olives (I used Spanish)
1-2 tbsp olive oil
1-2 tbsp shoyu or tamari (I used tamari)

While boiling pasta water, prepare broccoli. Chop into 1 inch pieces & rinse in a colander.

Cook pasta for 4 minutes less than indicated on package. Add broccoli & cook until pasta is done, about 3-4 more minutes. Drain & return to pot.

Add rest of ingredients & toss well.

What could be easier? I'm enjoying these leftovers for a few days along with fresh vegetable salads of lettuce, tomatoes, jalapenos, radishes & cucumbers or sandwiches.

My gorgeous plate of 3 salads for lunch. So good!

No comments:

Post a Comment