Vegan, Jane Austen student, Minimalist, Reader, Librarian

Thursday, August 20, 2009

Potluck Picnic

Music: robins in the cedar hedge.

Okay. So today was our library's picnic except, sadly, it was held inside because of rain!

I made two salads just to be sure I'd have something filling to eat as well as to share. Sadly, again, I was running short on time so didn't take pictures! So recipes will just have to suffice.

As it turns out, there were Boca veggie burgers (hooray!) and someone also made another vegan salad. So between my "burger" and the 3 salads, not to mention some awesome VEGAN cupcakes as well as fresh fruit, I was having a great time. Oh, and I also brought my afternoon iced latte...

Quinoa Spring Salad from Vive Le Vegan:

This is the recipe as I made it, which means I've added more vegetables than they say. What can I say? I love vegetables!

3 C cooked quinoa (1 C raw), cooled (I usually make it the day before to save a step)
1 C fresh or frozen green peas (if you use frozen, soak them first to thaw in boiling water)
1 1/2 C roasted red bell peppers, chopped
1/4 C diced onions
1 C cucumber, diced
1/4 C hemp seed nuts
4 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
1/4 tsp sea salt
4 tbsp Simple Cider Vinaigrette

Simple Cider Vinaigrette

1/4 C apple cider vinegar
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1/2 tsp sea salt
freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 1/2 tbsp pure maple syrup
2 tbsp olive oil

With a handblender or in a blender, combine all ingredients EXCEPT the oil & puree. Continue blending as you slowly add olive oil.

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix well. Serve immediately or refrigerate in an airtight container.

The second salad I made is called Spinach, Artichoke, & Chickpea Salad and it's from one of my all-time favorite vegan cookbooks, Vegan Express. This is a stunning salad, both in taste and appearance. Again, I've modified where I couldn't find ingredients.

6 oz. baby spinach
1 12 oz. jar marinated artichokes, drained & cut in half
1/3 C sliced black olives
1 15 oz. can chickpeas (or 1 C cooked), drained & rinsed
1 C cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
1 C baby carrots, cut in half lengthwise
1 C drained & sliced roasted red or yellow peppers
3 tbsp raw sunflower seeds
2 tbsp olive oil
Lemon or lime juice to taste

Combine all & mix well.

1 comment:

  1. I meant to tell you, I really liked the quinoa salad!

    ReplyDelete