Vegan, Jane Austen student, Minimalist, Reader, Librarian

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Lemonade for the Impatient

Music: Luna, Rendevous


I love lemonade but most recipes I've seen over the years require that you first make a sort of sugar syrup (that you must boil to dissolve the sugar!) before you can even think of adding the water. I say this is just too long & too much trouble when I want lemonade immediately. Quick! So I can grab my book & run outside & read!


In Eat, Drink, & Be Vegan, there is finally a recipe that makes it quick, easy, & delicious without being overly sweet. I also like to add slices of lemons & mint to my glass. This recipe can also be made with limes for limeade, my mother’s favorite.


1/2 C fresh squeezed lemon juice

3 C cold water

2 tbsp turbinado sugar


Stir well. That’s it!















For dinner last night, I made this simple dish that I've made in a past blog post, but I've since reduced the oil.


Pasta with 5-Minute Roasted Red Pepper Pesto


Pasta, dry, enough for 2

3/4 C roasted red peppers, drained

1/3 C walnuts

1/2 C fresh basil, tightly packed

1/4 C fresh parsley, tightly packed

1 garlic clove (or more if you like it really garlicky)

2 tbsp olive oil (the recipe called for 1/4 C which I think is too much)


Cook pasta. Meanwhile, in a food processor, blend together the rest of the ingredients EXCEPT the olive oil. Slowly add olive oil while blending until well mixed. Drain pasta then return to pot. Add pesto to pasta then stir until well-coated. Serve hot or room temperature. This is even good the next day cold.


We ate it with some roasted carrots and zucchini and I made a raw side salad of tomatoes, cucumbers, & mixed greens.


2 comments:

  1. Wow! love the quick lemonade recipe! we are going to try that soon. and the pasta looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That pasta does look marvelous. I'm such a carby.

    ReplyDelete