Vegan, Jane Austen student, Minimalist, Reader, Librarian

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Eating Vegan CAN Be Easy

Music: Jason Mraz, We Sing. We Dance. We Steal Things.

You just learn new habits and ways of doing things you're used to doing. When I decided to go vegan, I got rid of a lot of stuff from my kitchen and replaced them with better products. And the best part is that I'm exploring so many new (to me) and wonderful foods to eat! It amazes me how many beans, grains, fruits, & vegetables there are.

My cousin, Suzanne, Jim, & I were talking the other day how our mothers used lots of canned vegetables growing up. As a result, we HATED vegetables. Canned asparagus. Canned beets. What in the world WAS that?! Now that we eat them fresh, we're like, "Wow! So that's how it's supposed to taste!" I'll bet a lot of people feel that way about vegetables.

A co-worker was telling me the other day how much easier it was to just “throw a chicken breast on the grill” rather than eat vegan. I told her I’d just throw some tofu, tempeh, seitan (or Boca Chik patty or Gardenburger or vegetables) on the grill instead. As a bonus, my vegan alternative has no cholesterol and it has fiber, unlike the chicken breast.


I went grocery shopping the other day at Trader Joe’s and came across something I've never seen, Chicken-less Strips. They’re already cooked and only need to be warmed. These were even already lightly seasoned. They’re made of soy and wheat gluten. So they’ll be ready even faster than that unhealthy chicken breast!




















I steamed some kale from the garden, set it aside, then warmed the strips. Right before serving, I added the kale back in and stirred to combine. It was delicious served with Jim's garden potatoes.














By the way, here’s what I bought at Trader Joe’s that day, a sample grocery list if you will:


2 half-gallons of soy milk

marinated artichoke hearts

roasted red peppers

organic garbanzo (chickpeas) beans

organic kidney beans

organic black beans

organic diced tomatoes

organic cannellini (white kidney) beans

sliced black olives

Gimme Lean meatless sausage

Trader Joe’s soy chorizo

Tofurkey Italian “sausage”

Organic whole wheat hamburger buns

Trader Joe’s organic multi-grain sprouted bread

organic penne pasta

organic fusilli pasta

organic spaghetti pasta

Trader Joe’s corn tortillas

Whole grain tortillas w/flaxseeds

Trader Joe’s veg chicken-less strips

Trader Joe’s organic baby spinach

Trader Joe’s organic carrots

2 comments:

  1. we ate a lot of canned fruits (canned plums...yech!) and veggies growing up, too, including the dreaded canned beets. i had no idea what a fresh beet tasted like until i was well into adulthood! i was so missing out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm curious about some of the things you got rid of when you went Vegan...are you talking about things like condiments, cooking oil etc. or do you mean actual cookware?

    ReplyDelete