Vegan, Jane Austen student, Minimalist, Reader, Librarian

Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Do You Spend a lot of Time Cooking?

Music: Helen Forrest, Your Hit Parade 1944

I'm not sure what some people mean when they ask me that question. I guess in relation to most people and food, though, I spend a lot of time cooking. But I don't think it's a lot of time. I can get a lot done in little bursts of time.

I was talking to a co-worker last night about food and she asked me how much time I thought I spend cooking. I told her I can make a meal in less than 30 minutes (and she said that wasn't bad) but in the summer, that's really not how I like to cook. As I've mentioned before, I don't have air conditioning so I don't like to turn on the oven. And, because I often don't work until the afternoon, that leaves me the mornings to make something quick to have, such as a salad or a hummus, during the week. Then I have stuff on hand to make quick meals such as fresh vegetables, fruit, breads for sandwiches (like pita bread, tortillas, sprout bread, French bread, etc.), and some tofu, tempeh, or a Boca Chik patty.

The other day Jim made another unique salad but this time he used amaranth. It actually looks like a seed and, while you can't really see it in this picture, the seeds cling to the vegetables in the salad. You cook it quick like bulgur or quinoa. As always, we just add whatever veggies we have on hand. This is my plate with some roasted beets, and added jalapeno slices, cherry tomatoes, and avocado.













The picture to the left is just one of those quick meals I mentioned, with a mix of vegetables from our garden and the Farmers' Market and a Boca Chik patty. The dressing is a quick mix of lemon juice, Vegenaise, sea salt & pepper.

1 comment:

  1. These look delicious...YUM

    thanks for sharing... do you have the recipees?
    caroline

    ReplyDelete