Vegan, Jane Austen student, Minimalist, Reader, Librarian

Monday, August 17, 2009

Beach Weekend Vacation

Music: Cat Stevens, Tea for the Tillerman

Well, I'm back from my weekend in South Haven & really miss it for some reason! I've always loved the big lakes in Michigan, I love swimming, & I just love the summer. I would love to live by some big water someday and this vacation, though brief, has really got me thinking about the future.

But in the meantime, let me tell you about what I ate! This beautiful picture shows some absolutely amazing bread we bought at the Farmers' Market in downtown South Haven. It's called Seedy Salt bread and it's made by a company called Salt of the Earth in Fennville, Michigan, which is very near South Haven. It's made with all kinds of seeds including fennel, flax, & poppy and topped with French sea salt. It was one of the best breads I have ever tasted. I must find this recipe!

We bought some hummus in town at a little place called The Depot, which was a cross between a liquor store & a deli. And those are some green beans we brought from home. We also bought some mixed greens to top the sandwiches with. We ate these on the beach on Saturday.

The evening before we ate hummus with pitas & 2 kinds of grain salads back at the gorgeous Yelton Manor Guest House we stayed at, a mere block from the beach on Lake Michigan.

In town, we discovered a cute little place called Cafe Julia where we got our twice-daily iced soy lattes and some delicious veggie sandwiches on whole wheat bread. We told them to omit the basil pesto mayonnaise & cheese & add Dijon mustard instead. They were very nice & accommodating.

From home, we brought some fresh blueberries, cucumbers, & carob & blueberry muffins to enjoy. The guest house had a refrigerator so we could keep the produce cold.

Before we left, I had asked the innkeepers, Elaine & Robert, about accommodating us for breakfast. They very graciously served us homemade granola with soy milk and fresh-squeezed orange juice. It had honey in it but we do the best that we can! They also steered us to vegan-friendly food options for lunch and dinner.

All in all, a very relaxing weekend with some very good food.

No comments:

Post a Comment