Vegan, Jane Austen student, Minimalist, Reader, Librarian

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Some New Recipes

Music: fountain burbling

Jim made up this quick little curry-like mix of zucchini squash, petite diced tomatoes, & beet greens seasoned with basil & oregano from the garden, minced garlic, sea salt, & fresh ground pepper. We served it with brown rice and I made a little salad of lettuce, roasted beets, cucumbers, & onion.


And I’ve been trying out different recipes in You Won’t Believe It’s Vegan. I’m still not sure if I will buy the book but I’m leaning toward buying it because the recipes are very good! I was excited to try an easier falafel recipe because most recipes I find require that you fry the falafel patties, which makes so much mess, not to mention all of that oil! This one bakes them in the oven and the ingredient list isn’t daunting.


1/2 C bulgur

1/2 tsp olive oil, plus extra for baking

1 C cooked chickpeas, or 1 15-oz can, drained & rinsed

1/2 large onion, diced

1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley (or 1 tsp dry)

1 tbsp ground flaxseed meal

2 cloves garlic

1/2 tsp sea salt

1 tsp red pepper flakes

1 tsp ground cumin

1/8 tsp dried coriander


Preheat oven to 350. Coat a baking sheet with olive oil.

  1. Soak bulgur in warm water (enough to cover it) for at least 30 minutes.
  2. Saute onion in 1 tsp olive oil until slightly soft.
  3. Combine chickpeas, onion, parsley, flaxseed, garlic, salt, & spices in a food processor & blend until combined but not completely smooth.
  4. Drain bulgur & stir some into the chickpea mixture so it holds together but isn’t too sticky. This is where I had a little trouble as they didn’t want to stick together very firmly. So I chilled it a bit. I think I might have added a touch too much bulgur but they did form into golf ball-size balls okay.
  5. Place balls onto baking sheet. The recipe said to flatten them slightly but I was afraid they’d fall apart if I did, so I left them as is.
  6. Bake for about 20-25 minutes until golden brown, turning baking sheet halfway through baking time.


I served them in warmed pita halves with lettuce, radishes, & roasted beets with Tahini Sauce. Which you make like this:


1/4 C tahini

6 tbsp water

1 tsp fresh lemon juice

Pinch sea salt


Combine all in blender until smooth.

I will use the leftover falafel in salads or mashed with some tahini sauce or Vegenaise with veggies. Delicious and easy. A very good recipe.

This is just the leftover orzo salad from the other day served with lots of extra veggies for a quick dinner.


And for lunch today I made a tofu sandwich with side salad. Quick, easy, delicious, fresh, & good for you!


No comments:

Post a Comment