Vegan, Jane Austen student, Minimalist, Reader, Librarian

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Salsa and Hummus Delights

Music: Billy Joel, The Stranger


After my last post, my friend (who had first introduced me to Vienna Cafe) told me that Vesena, the owner, had passed away two months ago. I felt sad to know that she lost her battle with cancer and also that the wonderful food she created was gone.


Today I’m filling up the refrigerator with little dishes I like to have on hand for quick meals. Here is my salsa (thank you, Cecilia, & Armando’s Mexican Restaurant for the outstandingly simple and delicious recipe) and a new hummus recipe, called Kid’s Dynamo Hummus, from Eat, Drink, and Be Vegan. I guess she calls it a kid’s hummus because there isn’t as much garlic in it (although you can add as much as you like!) and it has cashews, tahini, chickpeas, flax oil, & nutritional yeast which are all very nutritional ingredients.


3/4 C raw cashews (sometimes all I have on hand is roasted; I just reduce the salt)

3 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice (sometimes I use lime for fun)

1 1/2-2 C cooked chickpeas (garbanzos)

1 small clove garlic (or more!)

1 tbsp tahini

1 tbsp olive oil

1 1/2 tbsp flax oil (you can use more olive if you don’t have flax oil)

1/2 tsp sea salt

2 tbsp nutritional yeast

5-6 tbsp water to thin dip as needed


In a food processor, combine cashews and lemon juice and puree until almost smooth. Add remaining ingredients except water and puree again until smooth, gradually adding water as desired to thin dip and scraping down sides of bowl as necessary. Season to taste with additional salt, more lemon juice, and/or nutritional yeast.


Eat with delight and abandon!



No comments:

Post a Comment