Vegan, Jane Austen student, Minimalist, Reader, Librarian

Wednesday, July 8, 2009

New Salad

Music: Iron & Wine


A co-worker (thanks, John!) recently showed me a new cookbook called You Won't Believe It's Vegan! by Lacey Sher & Gail Doherty. I've been perusing it for a couple of weeks now and, while some of the recipes are very good and there's several I'm looking to make, I'm really surprised how much oil is used in the recipes. Even Sarah Kramer's beloved cookbooks really lay on the oil and, since Jim has been reducing calories, I've been eye-balling oil amounts & using them sparingly. You don't need as much oil as many recipes call for, especially if you're halving them like I sometimes do since I'm only cooking for 2.

That said, I tried the Quinoa Salad recipe yesterday for lunch and it's excellent! The only ingredient I didn't have was the corn but sometimes you don't feel like that corny taste, you know? So I think it was good that I didn't have it after all.

The recipe called for 2 cups quinoa which I thought was crazy, since it doubles when it cooks. I did not halve the veggies and 1 C of quinoa was plenty for this salad. I don't like the grain to overwhelm the salad, I like it to be sort of equal amounts grain & veggies. So I used 1 cup when I cooked it. Always rinse quinoa first because it has a bitter coating on it. Cook it in 1 1/2 cups water, covered, until all the water is absorbed, about 15-20 minutes. Any package of quinoa you buy will have cooking instructions. Remove from heat and let rest about 10 minutes, covered. Then uncover it and fluff it with a fork and allow to cool a bit.

For the dressing, again I halved everything. The original recipe calls for 1/4 C fresh lemon juice, 2 tbsp olive oil, 1/2 C finely chopped cilantro, 2 cloves garlic, minced, 1 tsp sea salt, black pepper to taste. I used 1 tbsp lemon juice (all I had), 1 tbsp white wine vinegar, 1 tbsp olive oil, 1/4 C cilantro, garlic powder (ran out of garlic!), 1/2 tsp sea salt, & pepper to taste. Combine all in a small bowl.

For the salad, in a large bowl, add 1/2 an onion, diced, 1 large carrot, grated, chopped roasted red peppers (I think I used an entire pepper from the jar), & the cooked quinoa. Add dressing and mix well. If you want to add corn, add 1 C fresh or thawed frozen (you can also used canned, rinsed well, of course).

The recipe recommends that you chill and allow flavors to blend for about 30 minutes but who am I kidding? It was lunchtime, I ate it, the quinoa cooled quickly, and it was delicious!

I served it with roasted beets from the Farmers' Market--different pretty colors, too!

1 comment:

  1. Oooh, nice. I need some of the stuff here. I've decided to start a more vegan lifestyle myself. Haha, I found you from Ross Cambell's guestbook. Weird, ha?

    ReplyDelete