Vegan, Jane Austen student, Minimalist, Reader, Librarian

Sunday, July 19, 2009

Lemon Blueberry Scones

Music: Keane, Perfect Symmetry

This is yet another new recipe from You Won't Believe It's Vegan and, at this point, I think I'll just buy this book as all the recipes I've tried I've really liked. Most are very simple like this one.

These are Lemon Blueberry Scones but they were more of a cross between a muffin and a cupcake. Other scone recipes I've made came out much denser and firmer (as I believe scones should be). In those recipes I think cutting in soy margarine made the difference. Nevertheless, made with fresh blueberries from the Farmers' Market, these were delicious.


3 C whole wheat pastry flour

1 tsp salt

1 tbsp baking powder

1/2 tsp baking soda

1/2 C chopped walnuts

2 C blueberries

3/4 C oil

1 organic lemon, zested & juiced

1/4 C sugar plus 1 tbsp for sprinkling

1/4 C pure maple syrup

3/4 C soy milk

1 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar

1 tbsp vanilla extract

1 1/2 tsp lemon extract


Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.

  1. In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, walnuts & blueberries.
  2. In a separate bowl, whisk together oil, lemon zest, 1/4 C of sugar, maple syrup, soy milk, vinegar, & vanilla & lemon extracts.
  3. Add wet mixture to dry until just combined. Do not overmix.
  4. Drop dough in 1/4 C (or less) scoops about 2 inches apart on the baking sheet. Sprinkle tops with remaining sugar if desired.
  5. Bake for 20 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.
  6. Enjoy with a cup of tea.

I split one with Jim for dessert along with some cherries and my lemon blossom tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment