These are Lemon Blueberry Scones but they were more of a cross between a muffin and a cupcake. Other scone recipes I've made came out much denser and firmer (as I believe scones should be). In those recipes I think cutting in soy margarine made the difference. Nevertheless, made with fresh blueberries from the Farmers' Market, these were delicious.
3 C whole wheat pastry flour
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 C chopped walnuts
2 C blueberries
3/4 C oil
1 organic lemon, zested & juiced
1/4 C sugar plus 1 tbsp for sprinkling
1/4 C pure maple syrup
3/4 C soy milk
1 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 tsp lemon extract
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, walnuts & blueberries.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together oil, lemon zest, 1/4 C of sugar, maple syrup, soy milk, vinegar, & vanilla & lemon extracts.
- Add wet mixture to dry until just combined. Do not overmix.
- Drop dough in 1/4 C (or less) scoops about 2 inches apart on the baking sheet. Sprinkle tops with remaining sugar if desired.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Enjoy with a cup of tea.
I split one with Jim for dessert along with some cherries and my lemon blossom tea.