Vegan, Jane Austen student, Minimalist, Reader, Librarian

Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Kale Slaw with Peanut Dressing

Music: White Flag, Dido, Twilight (iPod) playlist

You never know where you'll find a good recipe! When I cancelled a magazine subscription last year to Mary Engelbreit's Home Companion, they refunded me my money. Then they ceased publication and I started getting the pretentious Martha Stewart Living magazine. I called and told them that I had received a refund for my other subscription and didn't want this magazine but they said consider it a gift! Go figure. Waste of their money and resources, not mine.

Each issue is exactly the same. So I skim it for good vegan recipes or recipes that I can "veganize" before I recycle it. This one caught my eye in the latest issue. It's delicious and a wonderful way to use the kale growing in the garden.

Toss 2 large bunches of rinsed and dried kale, center ribs discarded, very thinly sliced crosswise (about 10 C); 1 colored bell pepper (I used 2 roasted red instead because it’s often hard to find colored organic peppers), diced; 2-3 carrots, thinly sliced crosswise, in a large bowl.


The dressing I used was reduced by half because I thought it made just too much.


Puree 1/4 C vegetable oil, 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar, 2 tbsp salted peanuts, 1 tbsp packed light brown sugar, & 1/4 tsp sea salt in a blender until smooth.


Pour dressing over vegetables just before serving. Sprinkle with additional peanuts if desired. I ate it with a chickpea smash sandwich.

No comments:

Post a Comment