Vegan, Jane Austen student, Minimalist, Reader, Librarian

Saturday, July 11, 2009

Just Another Farmers' Market Saturday

Music: George Harrison

We got so much wonderful produce at the Farmers’ Market today. And they had blueberries for the first time this year--major excitement! I also got some radishes, black raspberries, beets, broccoli, mushrooms, carrots, a cucumber, & Old Mission cherries.


With all these wonderful veggies, we decided to make a quick stir-fry for lunch with some brown rice. Jim made a sauce with papaya nectar, arrowroot, ginger, soy sauce, agave nectar, & brown rice syrup.



I added a salad of lettuce, avocado, radishes, & onions with white wine vinegar & olive oil, sea salt, & ground pepper.

Jim opted just for stir-fry.

Yesterday, I tried a new salad recipe called Tara's Mediterranean Pasta Salad from You Won't Believe It's Vegan!
Super easy!

1 1/2 C uncooked orzo (cook, run under cool water, then set aside)
15 Spanish olives, cut in half
1 roasted red pepper, diced
1 small onion, diced
a few small zucchini squash, chopped
1 6-oz jar of marinated artichokes, drained then chopped
chopped parsley
garlic cloves, minced, as many as you want (I used 3, the recipe called for 6)
1 tsp Italian spice (I made my own from the book's recipe of 2 tsp each of basil, oregano, & marjoram, & 1 tsp sage)
Olive oil & white wine vinegar as dressing to your preference (the books says 1/3 C! I think not! More like 1-2 tbsp) I used white wine vinegar because I didn't have lemons--I much prefer the juice of a lemon or lime as dressing

I sauteed the onion and the zucchini in a few tsp of olive oil with the Italian spice until softened, then set aside to cool. Then in a large bowl combine everything. Chill in the refrigerator to blend flavors. If you want, you can also add chopped tomato, capers, and black or Kalamata olives.

1 comment:

  1. Everything looks so fresh and vibrant.

    I need to find a farmers' market here in NYC.

    I must try Tara's Mediterranean Pasta Salad.

    ReplyDelete