Vegan, Jane Austen student, Minimalist, Reader, Librarian

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Two Summer Salads

Music: The Weepies


I've mentioned before that I often go to Grosse Pointe since Jim & I used to live on the east side of Detroit for 3 years. During that time, we made some good friends & I also get my hair cut in Grosse Pointe Park so we're out that way at least once a month.

One of my favorite places to eat there is the Sprout House in downtown Grosse Pointe Park. It's just the cutest little place that sells organic & vegan food (but also food for meat eaters), groceries as well as freshly made sandwiches, soups, & salads. And it's so busy there, too, because it's so good. I introduced Vegenaise to my friend, James, & now he buys it there all the time. (Of course, he eats it with eggs so that kind of defies the purpose, but that's another story!) We'll even buy takeout to enjoy in the park by Lake St. Clair when I visit him. Love watching the boats!

Anyway, one of my favorite things to do is figure out the ingredients & make whatever I ate at home. Such is the case with these two delicious & easy summer salads.

The first is a sesame noodle salad made with soba noodles cooked until al dente, then tossed with toasted sesame oil, slivers of finely chopped green onions, minced garlic, soy sauce, sesame seeds, apple cider vinegar & red pepper flakes. I just mixed a little of this & that until it looked right. I don't like a lot of oil so I started with a tablespoon then went from there. I think I only used about 2 tsp of the vinegar & 1 tbsp of the soy sauce. Served chilled, this is wonderful.

The tempeh salad is kind of a take on chicken salad with some of the same ingredients (except for the chicken, of course!). I prepare the tempeh by simmering it (cut into strips) for about 30 minutes in water & a vegetable bouillon cube with a couple of lemon slices. This takes some of the strong taste that tempeh is noted for (& that Jim doesn't like unless I do this step first). As I've said before, I like it any way but this way he can enjoy it, too. Then I added Vegenaise (until my desired moistness), tarragon, sea salt, pepper, leftover brown rice, finely chopped onion, diced celery, & some dried cranberries. The brown rice adds a nice touch to this & makes it more filling. Serve over a bed of lettuce & eat as is or make a sandwich or wrap. James told me that if I hadn't told him it wasn't chicken, he never would have known!

No comments:

Post a Comment