Vegan, Jane Austen student, Minimalist, Reader, Librarian

Friday, June 12, 2009

More Quick & Easy Vegan Meals

Music: The Sea & Cake

For dinner the other night, Jim made some quick tomato sauce using leftover diced tomatoes from the refrigerator, diced button mushrooms, 1 tbsp olive oil, a few cloves of minced garlic, & dried oregano.  He first sauteed the garlic & mushrooms in the olive oil, then added the diced tomatoes & oregano. I wasn't actually watching his every move (I was making the rotini pasta and the sauteed mushrooms, onions, and kale from the garden) and I can't ask him now because he is off on a fishing trip in Manistee.  This was wonderful! Jim even ate the leftover pasta chilled the next day as a salad, it was that good.

For lunch, I ate a hummus sandwich on toasted sprouted Trader Joe's bread with lettuce from the garden, onions, & avocado. That's a rice & bean salad on the side made with leftover brown rice, 2 cups adzuki beans, the juice of one lemon, dash of Tabasco sauce, dash of cayenne (okay, maybe more than a dash because I like a little spice), diced roasted red & yellow peppers, diced avocado, sliced onions, 2 tbsp red wine vinegar, & some whole Spanish olives.


I'm solo this weekend & I'm working all weekend, too, so I will probably mostly eat salads I think (the lettuce is coming fast in the gardens now) with sauteed tofu or tempeh. I bought some pita bread for quick sandwiches, too.

I met my friend for lunch yesterday at Steve's Backroom in St. Clair Shores and tried the Backroom Falafil, which is a warmed pita bread, with hummus, tabbouleh, and falafel. It was very good and very filling. I also picked up a soy latte from Caribou. I love that cafes now have soy milk! 

No comments:

Post a Comment