Vegan, Jane Austen student, Minimalist, Reader, Librarian

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Quinoa, Pea, & Asparagus Salad

Music: Miho Hatori



Jim has a subscription to a neat little magazine that, while it has good ideas, I don't usually pick up and read. It's called MaryJane's Farm and is basically how to incorporate back-to-basics and organic living into your daily life. There's a lot of outdoor stuff (camping, gardening) which I enjoy but it's a little hard when you live in an urban area. Case in point, as I tried twice today to sit on my front porch with a book, I was assaulted by noise: a lawn service and a Tru-Green (toxic) service (on the same neighbor's lawn, no less). I have some clothes drying on a drying rack in the backyard at least, so that's a start I guess!

Anyway, I was browsing this magazine yesterday and came across a pretty good-enough-to-try recipe for Quinoa with Peas & Herbs (I decided to add the asparagus to it because I thought it needed more oomph and I also decided to make it into a cold salad instead of serving it warm as the recipe suggested).

1 1/2 C water
3/4 C quinoa, rinsed & drained
1 small jalepeno pepper, whole
1 1/2 tbsp olive/flax/hemp oil (you choose)
1 tbsp onion (I used 2) :)
2 tbsp fresh sage, chopped (or 2 tsp dried)
2 tbsp fresh basil, chopped (or 2 tsp dried)
2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped (or 2 tsp dried)
1/2 C shelled fresh peas (I used frozen as there aren't any fresh ones in MI yet! I also used 1 C as 1/2 C just didn't look like much to me)
6 spears of skinny fresh asparagus, washed & cut up into bite-sized pieces
1 tbsp white wine vinegar (the original recipe didn't call for this but, since I was serving it as a salad, I thought it would make a nice flavor)

1. In a medium saucepan, combine water, quinoa & jalapeno pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer, cover, & cook for 15 minutes or until all the water is absorbed.  Then set aside to cool. Remove jalapeno if you want. I chopped it up & stirred it in because I like the spice.

2. Stir in the rest of the ingredients & serve either warm or chill in the refrigerator.  I found chilling it & eating it later at room temperature really allowed the herbs to infuse the salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment