Vegan, Jane Austen student, Minimalist, Reader, Librarian

Thursday, May 28, 2009

A New Spring Soup Recipe

Music: Stevie Wonder



For lunch yesterday, I made a soup from Nava Atlas’ latest book. Alas, I forgot to take a picture of it. I thought I'd take a picture today but the arborio rice had kind of expanded so the effect wasn't as nice as yesterday. Anyway, here's how I made it:


Arborio Rice Soup with Spring Vegetables


1 tbsp olive oil

1 onion, finely chopped

2 cloves garlic, minced

32-oz carton vegetable broth (I used 1 cube bouillon with 2 C water)

4 C water

3/4 C raw arborio rice

1 C mushrooms, chopped (I used combo of white & Portobello)

1 tsp dried basil

2 C slender asparagus stalks, cut into 1/2-inch pieces

1 C fresh or frozen peas (the recipe said to thaw them, but I said, “yeah, right”)

1 C diced fresh tomatoes (I used canned since MI tomatoes aren’t ready yet)

1/4 C minced fresh parsley

Sea salt & fresh ground pepper to taste


Heat oil in a stock pot. Add onion & garlic & saute over medium-low heat until both are golden, taking care not to brown the garlic.


Add the broth, 2 C of the water, rice, mushrooms & basil. Bring to boil then lower heat to simmer, cover, & let cook for 15-20 minutes or until rice is tender.


Stir in asparagus & remaining 2 C water, cover & cook 5 minutes.


Add peas, tomatoes, & parsley. Heat through then add more water as needed if it seems too thick. Season with salt & pepper to taste.



1 comment: