Vegan, Jane Austen student, Minimalist, Reader, Librarian

Sunday, May 31, 2009

Desserts

Music: The Steve Miller band

Birthday Cake!


When I made the birthday cupcakes to share with my co-workers last week, I neglected to take a photograph. So I made a cake with the recipe and took a picture of that. Delicious. This recipe is from How It All Vegan by Sarah Kramer & Tanya Barnard. The icing is to die for!


The Cake

1 1/2 C whole wheat pastry flour

2 tsp baking powder

1/4 tsp sea salt

3/4 C sugar

3/4 C soy milk

1/4 C vegetable oil

2 tsp vanilla extract

egg replacer equal to one egg (I sometimes use Egg Replacer by Bob’s Red Mill but mostly I use ground flaxseed meal; 2 tbsp flax + 3 tbsp water=1 egg)


Preheat oven to 350 degrees and get your pans ready by lightly oiling them; sometimes I make cupcakes & use a 12 cup muffin tin or I make one small round cake). 


Combine flour, baking powder, & salt in a large mixing bowl. Add sugar and stir well. In a separate bowl,

combine the egg replacer with needed water & let sit for a minute or two, then add all the wet ingredients to that bowl & stir well. Add the wet mixture to the dry & stir until just mixed. Spoon batter into prepared pan & bake about 25-30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.


Wait until it cools (I usually make the cake or cupcakes the day before I’m going to frost it) before frosting.


Frosting

1/4 C soy margarine

1 1/2 to 2 1/4 C powdered sugar (sometimes I haven’t had quite enough powdered sugar but it still comes out fine)

2 tbsp soy milk (you can also use rice milk)

1 tsp vanilla extract (you can also substitute with almond, lemon or any other flavor extract you want)


In a food processor, combine margarine & powdered sugar, then add milk and extract until smooth and creamy. Spread it on your cupcakes or cake. Absolutely delicious!


Jim made some Mango Gelato yesterday but, wouldn’t you know? The weather just turned chilly so I might have to wait a few days to eat it again when the weather gets warmer. I hate being cold.


2 1/4 C chilled Looza mango nectar 

Juice of one lemon

2 tbsp brown rice syrup (you could also use honey, agave nectar, or maple syrup)


Combine all ingredients in a blender until well mixed. Pour into electric ice cream maker & follow instructions according to the manufacturer. 




We can't wait to try this out with other flavors including papaya, peach, & apricot. I'm thinking this could also be allowed to melt slightly and sipped as a slushie. Ah, summer!





No comments:

Post a Comment