Vegan, Jane Austen student, Minimalist, Reader, Librarian

Thursday, March 5, 2009

What CAN You Eat?

I had some organic zucchini in the refrigerator so I decided to make a side dish with it today. This is Zucchini With Tomatoes and Marjoram adapted from The Garden of Vegan by Sarah Kramer & Tanya Barnard:

3 C zucchini (I just used 5 smallish zucchini) chopped
2-3 cloves garlic (I used 2)
1 tbsp olive oil
Diced tomatoes (I used half of a 16 oz. can)
1 tsp dried marjoram
1 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp salt
Black pepper to taste
Soy parmesan (optional)

In a large pan on medium heat, sauté the zucchini & garlic in the olive oil until zucchini is tender but still firm. Add the rest of the ingredients & cook an additional 1-2 minutes. We ate this with Boca Chik Patties on sprouted buns, with sautéed onions, lettuce, & Vegenaise.

Today I had the day off and, on days like this, I like to make something a little special, maybe something that takes a little bit longer than usual. This is a modern take on Mexican burritos & is adapted from Eat, Drink & Be Vegan:

Chipotle Veggie-Bean Burritos

1 28 oz can diced tomatoes (I used a 16 oz can because that’s all I had & I also don't like a lot of tomato-ey flavor in my cooking as it sometimes overpowers it)
1-1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
3/4 C red onion (I used white & I didn't measure; I just used up most of an onion I already had in the fridge)
2 cloves garlic minced
1/2 tsp sea salt
Black pepper to taste
2 tsp chipotle hot sauce (I used Tabasco because it has a flavor that I really like)
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp mustard seed (these are cool-looking)
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp dried basil
1 C green bell pepper, diced (I just used an entire medium-sized one, no measuring)
1/3 C celery, diced (again, I just used one stalk of celery hearts, no measuring)
1 C cooked beans of choice (black, adzuki, etc.) I used an entire 15 oz. can of black
1/2 C frozen corn kernels
1/2 tsp honey alternative (I used agave nectar)
6 large (10") flour tortillas (I just used 8 smaller-sized flour tortillas)
1-1 1/2 C grated soy cheese (I left out because I don't like)

Press the drained tomatoes to remove as much liquid as possible. Set aside. In a large skillet over medium heat, heat the oil & add the onion, garlic, salt, pepper, hot sauce, & all the dried spices & herbs. Stir occasionally for 5 minutes (I did it until the onions were translucent), then add the green pepper & celery & cook another 1-2 minutes. Stir in remaining ingredients except half of the diced tomatoes. Cook for a few minutes then remove from heat & allow to cool.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spoon cooled filling into each of the tortillas (I warmed them first so they wouldn't break apart when I rolled them), leaving a few inches around edges. Roll up each tortilla & place seam side down in a lightly oiled 8" x 12" baking dish or pan. Sprinkle reserved diced tomatoes over top of the burritos. Cover with foil & bake 15 minutes. Remove foil, sprinkle on soy cheese if desired, & bake uncovered another 5 minutes.

I had leftover filling from this recipe, so this will be really good reheated tomorrow with some brown rice!

Finally, I served this with my own Guacamole recipe, adapted long ago from an old Fannie Farmer Cookbook:

1-2 avocados (depending on size, if they’re small I use 2)
1 tbsp fresh lime juice
Salt & pepper to taste
1 clove garlic, minced
Jalapeno slices (seeds removed unless you really want it hot), minced

Peel & seed avocados. Mash avocado in a bowl & mix with remaining ingredients. I like to serve it with the pit in the center as garnish & also because it keeps the avocado from oxidizing too quickly. Serve with salted corn chips.

No comments:

Post a Comment