Vegan, Jane Austen student, Minimalist, Reader, Librarian

Friday, April 24, 2009

Sunny Skies

Music: Joni Mitchell

I was off yesterday so I made an apricot-almond loaf to share at work today with my awesome co-workers. I posted the recipe here last week on April 16th. I also made another batch of biscotti, substituting the 1/4 tsp lemon extract that I didn’t have with 1/2 tsp almond extract. I also tried something a little different: I reduced the sugar by 2 tablespoons. Jim is trying to lose some weight so I thought I’d try reducing the sugar in my recipes, just like I’ve been doing with oil. I’ll see how it tastes tomorrow morning with my coffee, but I have a feeling it will be just fine because the biscotti also has some chocolate chips.

I used up my baking powder while baking so made some more, which I make homemade from a super easy recipe from Super Natural Cooking:

In a resealable container, combine 1 part baking soda to 2 parts arrowroot and 2 parts cream of tartar. That’s it! No aluminum in your baking powder.

For lunch I cooked the last of the frozen falafel I bought several weeks ago and, in a warmed pita, stuffed in the falafel along with some mixed greens, raw onion, and a bit of Vegenaise. We also ate the rest of the potatoes & beets from yesterday, reheated in the oven (I was already making biscotti, so just put in everything at once while the oven was hot).

We made this delicious dish last night for dinner, using a garlic sauce recipe adapted from How It All Vegan:

4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp olive oil
1/4 C water
2 tsp Braggs
1/2 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp dried basil
1/4 tsp dried thyme
1/4 tsp ground pepper (I just eyeballed it with my grinder because I'm so not going to grind it into a bowl, then spoon it into a 1/4 tsp measuring spoon, thus probably leaving some left over)
1/4 tsp salt
dash of cayenne pepper

In a skillet, sauté garlic carefully in the oil on medium-low heat until softened. Be careful not to brown it. Then add the rest of the ingredients and bring to a boil, then simmer for about 10 minutes. When it was almost done, we tossed in chopped zucchini and Portobello mushrooms, then tossed all that with some soba noodles. In the future, I might try grating the zucchini and just serve the mushrooms in slabs on the side.

P4230028

No comments:

Post a Comment