Vegan, Jane Austen student, Minimalist, Reader, Librarian

Monday, January 26, 2009

So What DO You Eat?

This morning, before going to the library, I made a red lentil soup with garlic, onions, red lentils, dill, olive oil, 2 vegetable bouillon cubes & salt & pepper. I also tossed in some baby spinach just before serving. I want to mention here that most grocery store bouillon cubes are made with MSG (monosodium glutamate, supposedly a taste “enhancer”). A lot of people may not realize that many people are allergic to MSG, which my husband is and so is my father. Every time we ate out at a restaurant with soups or sauces on the menu or Chinese food, he would invariably get a pounding headache that would often last for days. We finally figured out the problem so now whenever his workplace goes out to eat or orders in, he always asks the restaurant about what meals contain MSG. And a surprising amount of them do.

That said, we only buy Rapunzel brand vegan Vegetable Bouillon cubes from Nutri-Foods. They have three kinds: one with sea salt, one with no salt added, and one with sea salt & herbs. I prefer the first two. I have never made my own vegetable broth but my husband has. Too much trouble for me so I prefer this shortcut to making soup, as I suspect most people do.

I also made some pita bread croutons in the oven. Just take some pita bread, cut up into small squares, & bake for about 10 minutes in the oven. Voila.

No comments:

Post a Comment