Vegan, Jane Austen student, Minimalist, Reader, Librarian

Monday, March 9, 2009

So What DO You Eat?

Yesterday I worked so J. made another great soup. Adapted from Twelve Months of Monastery Soups by Brother Victor-Antoine d’Avila-Latourrette (wow, and I thought my name was long!), the recipes in this book make a huge amount because, obviously, they are made to feed a monastery! So we froze half of it leaving the rest to enjoy during the week.

Minestrone di Verdura (Tuscan Green Vegetable Minestrone)

2/3 C olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 carrots, sliced
2 celery stalks, sliced
1 15 oz can cannellini beans
1 15 oz can peeled tomatoes
10 C water
2 potatoes, peeled & diced (we use organic so we leave the skins on)
small radicchio, chopped (we didn't have so we left out)
1 bay leaf
1 C white wine (I think he left this out, too, because I don't like wine in my food, at least this much!)
chopped fresh parsley
salt & pepper to taste

Sauté in olive oil the onion, carrots & celery for about 5 minutes. Add the beans & tomatoes & continue to sauté for 2 more minutes.
Add the water & bring to a boil. Add the potatoes, radicchio, wine, bay leaf, parsley, salt & pepper. Cover & simmer for 60 minutes. Turn off heat & let soup stand for 15 minutes. Remove the bay leaf (it's poisonous if you eat it!). Serve hot.

And today I just made another sandwich/cracker spread for the week. This one is a Black Bean Spread, adapted from The Garden of Vegan:

1 15 oz can of black beans, drained & rinsed
1 small red onion, chopped (I used half of a white onion)
3 tbsp fresh cilantro (I used 1 tsp dried)
1 garlic clove, chopped
1 tbsp all-purpose spice
1 tsp cumin
2 tbsp fresh lime juice
1/8 tsp salt

Blend all in the food processor.

No comments:

Post a Comment