Vegan, Jane Austen student, Minimalist, Reader, Librarian

Monday, March 16, 2009

So What DO You Eat?

Let’s catch up this blog since I didn’t have a chance during my busy weekend.

Last Friday evening, we ate at Steve’s Backroom in St. Clair Shores. I usually get Steve’s Salad (which I incorrectly thought was called the Five Bean Salad) but decided to try something different. I ordered the Falafel salad (after asking if it was made with eggs—it isn’t) & it was delicious. I would have preferred the abundant variety of vegetables in Steve’s Salad but it was still good. We also ordered an appetizer of the hummus, tabbouleh, & baba ghanoush. I found out that they make their hummus from chickpeas that they cook from scratch but that they toast first. It has a unique flavor & is so very creamy & smooth. I make my hummus with canned chickpeas for convenience, but I might try it from scratch someday. The tabbouleh is made of parsley, bulgur, mint, tomato, & other herbs with lemon juice. And the baba ghanoush was mashed eggplant with tahini, olive oil, lemon juice & garlic. Of course, it was all served with my favorite warmed pita bread. My husband had never been to Steve’s Backroom & is often on the east side meeting his friend; he was happy to learn of another restaurant alternative to the Sprout House on that side of town.

Yesterday morning I made the red pepper hummus I mentioned a few blogs ago. I hadn’t seen my parents in awhile & always like to take something to them when I visit. We enjoyed it on sandwiches.

When I got home, I made a split pea soup adapted from a recipe in La Dolce Vegan. It is so flavorful, I doubt meat eaters would even miss that blasted ham bone!

1 onion, chopped
3 carrots, chopped
3 stalks of celery hearts
2 tbsp olive oil
1 large clove garlic, minced
1 tsp turmeric
Pinch of dried rosemary
2 tsp salt
Black pepper to taste
2 C vegetable stock
3 C water
1 C dried green split peas

In a stock pot, sauté the onion, garlic, celery, & carrots in the olive oil until onions are translucent. Add the remaining ingredients & bring to a boil, then lower to simmer, & cover for 45 minutes (stirring occasionally) or until peas are cooked.

Finally, I made another batch of vanilla cupcakes, which I adapted from the vanilla cake recipe in How It All Vegan:

1 1/2 C flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 C sugar
3/4 C soy milk
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 C oil (I use vegetable)
egg replacer equal to 1 egg (I use 2 tbsp ground flaxseed meal w/3 tbsp water)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, salt, & sugar. In another small bowl, add the egg replacer mixture, stir together & let sit about 2 minutes. Then add milk, vanilla, & oil to flaxseed mixture & stir well to combine. Add wet mixture to dry then mix all until just combined. I then spooned the batter into a muffin tin lined with papers (if you're making a cake, pour into a lightly oiled cake pan) & bake for 25-30 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Ice when cooled if desired. Makes 12 cupcakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment