Vegan, Jane Austen student, Minimalist, Reader, Librarian

Sunday, January 4, 2009

So What DO You Eat?

In response to the most common question vegans ever get, I've decided to write down every meal I eat in 2009 in both this online journal as well as a zine which I'll compile throughout the year.
Most non-vegans ask me this question all the time. Somehow, they think that because I don't eat meat, dairy, or eggs that there is nothing left to eat. They seem to think that I now eat a "limited" diet. (I prefer to call it a lifestyle, but that's beside the point). With the posting of these menus, I hope to show that my "diet" is anything but limited. It's more varied than it ever was, even when I ate meat and when I was a vegetarian still eating dairy!
I decided to go vegan in October 2007 because many family members have very poor health (diabetes, cancer, high blood pressure, etc.). I had not eaten beef or pork since 1990 after I took a health class in college. I continued to eat turkey & chicken but was also very wary of bringing it into my home, handling it, & then cooking it properly. When my husband got food poisoning (campylobacter), I stopped buying chicken & turkey but continued to eat it as a guest with friends & family. In the summer of 2007, I began combining soy milk with my regular milk & gave up meat. Then I read both The China Study by T. Colin Campbell & watched the DVD Vegan-Gal by a local Michigan vegan. Both of those finally convinced me to take the vegan plunge.
I already enjoyed cooking & being vegan does require cooking. But when it's my health at stake, I no longer think of it as a burden but, rather, a necessity to my well-being. I am 40 years old & have never felt better in my entire life. I sleep through the night almost every night, I am not as hungry between meals, I no longer crave sugar (& in fact often reduce it in recipes), take no prescriptions, & not to be gross, but I also eliminate regularly at least 3 times a day, something I never did as a non-vegan.
If people stop to consider that their bodies are affected by the prescriptions they take internally (to supposedly correct problems in their bodies) it stands to reason that the food they put into their bodies also has an effect. Perhaps they will be convinced to change their life. I know I was and am.
Perhaps it will make you reconsider the vegan lifestyle! Happy Reading!

Jan. 1, 2009
Breakfast
Banana Bliss pancakes w/Earth Balance Buttery Spread & Trader Joe's maple syrup
Trader Joe's Soy Chorizo
Cappuccino with soy milk & homemade chocolate almond biscotti

Lunch
Thin spaghetti w/homemade tomato sauce
Green beans
Sautéed eggplant & arugula
Antipasto: pepperoncini, Spanish olives, artichoke hearts, roasted red peppers
Cappuccino w/soy milk
Slice of chocolate pate
Lemon ice

Dinner
Tomato, mushroom, brown rice curry soup
2 slices of Trader Joe's sprouted bread, toasted, with Earth Balance Buttery Spread
1 Clementine
Herbal tea

Jan. 2, 2009
Breakfast

Muesli w/dried apricots, ground flaxseed, sliced almonds
Cappuccino w/soymilk
Biscotti
Lunch
Black beans w/polenta
Bowtie pasta w/homemade tomato sauce
Clementine
Cappuccino w/soymilk
1 slice of chocolate pate

Jan. 3, 2009
Breakfast
Muesli w/dried apricots, ground flaxseed, sliced almonds
Cappuccino w/soymilk
Biscotti
Lunch
Sauteed mushrooms & carrots in olive oil w/sea salt/pepper
Leftover polenta w/black beans
Clementine
Cappuccino w/soymilk
1 slice of chocolate pate
Dinner
Bowl of tomato, mushroom curry soup
2 slices of Trader Joe’s sprouted bread, toasted, w/Earth Balance Buttery Spread
Clementine
Herbal tea
Snack
Stove top popcorn w/sea salt

Jan. 4, 2009
Breakfast
Pancakes w/Earth Balance Buttery Spread & Trader Joe’s Maple syrup
2 patties of Gimme Lean Soy sausage
Cappuccino w/soymilk
1 biscotti
Lunch
Romaine lettuce, onions, cucumber salad
Cuban sensation (black beans, jasmine rice, roasted red peppers, w/thyme, sea salt, pepper spices)
Trader Joe’s Soy Chorizo
Dinner
Hummus sandwich w/Romaine lettuce & onions on toasted sprouted bread
Bowl of tomato, mushroom curry soup
Herbal tea
Clementine

No comments:

Post a Comment