Vegan, Jane Austen student, Minimalist, Reader, Librarian

Monday, February 9, 2009

So What Do You Do When You Eat Out?

This can be a problem, but it isn’t the end of the world. If I eat at family gatherings I just make sure to bring a big enough dish I can share. Usually, I try to bring a dessert, too, because I don’t want to miss out on the fun!

I rarely eat out at a restaurant. Over the years, I’ve found myself annoyed by the service, poor food quality, & high prices. That said, when I do eat out, I try to go to a vegan restaurant. Not always easy but there is my favorite restaurant, The Inn Season, in downtown Royal Oak. I’ve never tried the Om Cafe in Ferndale but I hear that is very good, too. In St. Clair Shores, I also like the vegan options at Steve’s Back Room (their 5 bean salad is my absolute favorite). If it’s not a vegan restaurant, I just ask lots of questions like, making sure vegetables aren’t cooked in butter but oil instead and that they don’t put cheese on my salad or mayo in my sandwich. Most restaurants can be very accommodating.

At work last month, lunch was ordered in and I just contacted the office to find out my options. They got me a sub from Jimmy John’s that I could eat (vegetable but no cheese or mayo, mustard instead) & I brought some cookies to share with my co-workers (oatmeal chocolate chip) that I could eat. So I do plan ahead. I even brought a lunch just in case my lunch was accidentally missed or given to somebody else. But it worked out & I was just appreciative that they could give me what I want.

In the past year, several relatives have been very thoughtful of J. & I and brought vegan options to the family potlucks or made sure that there was something we could eat. This was unexpected but very nice of them nonetheless.

I just made the Spinach, Artichoke, & Chickpea Salad from The Vegan Express Cookbook. I didn’t have carrots (ran out), cherry tomatoes (out of season & not very good in the market now) black olives (don’t like) or red cabbage (not something I have on a hand all the time) so just left them out.

4-6 oz baby spinach

1 15-oz can/jar marinated artichokes, drained & chopped

1 C thinly sliced red cabbage

1/3 cup oil-cured black olives

1 C drained & rinsed canned chick peas (who measures? I just use the whole can)

1 C cherry tomatoes, sliced in half

1/2 C baby carrots, cut in half lengthwise

1/2 C drained & sliced jarred roasted red or yellow peppers

2-3 tbsp sunflower seeds

2 tbsp (I used 1) olive oil

Lemon juice to taste (I used 1/2 a lemon)

Combine all & enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment