Vegan, Jane Austen student, Minimalist, Reader, Librarian

Thursday, February 5, 2009

So Have You Lost Weight?

I actually get this question a lot. Many people assume that because I am vegan that I did it to lose weight. Again, this was not my goal and, to be honest, I don’t know if I’ve lost weight because I don’t own a scale & I have always hated knowing how much I weigh. Who cares? A few people have told me that I have lost weight but I’ve always gone by how my clothes fit, how I feel, & how I look in the mirror to myself.

I’ve never had a weight problem (thank goodness) but the only time I have been a size I didn’t want to be was when I briefly lived in Detroit. I was very unhappy living there and got up to a size 10 which, for a petite person, is too big. That’s when I started walking almost every day for 30-45 minutes; I then dropped to a size petite 6-8 depending on the brand/style of clothing, which is where I’m at right now.

Being vegan isn’t a diet for me, it’s a lifestyle and a way of eating. Like exercise, it’s something that’s part of my life and something I need to do to feel healthy and well. If I have lost weight because of it, great! It’s just as important for me to be prescription-free, sleeping well, feeling good, and looking good.

Yesterday I made a new soup recipe: Garden Carrot Soup from Sarah Kramer’s The Garden of Vegan. I doubled the recipe & made some changes to the original because I like having leftovers.

8 carrots, chopped

1 leek, sliced (I used an onion)

3 tbsp dark (aka toasted) sesame oil

1/2 tsp ground ginger

1 tsp salt

1/2 tsp pepper

1/2 tsp ground nutmeg

2 cups vegetable stock

2 cups water

In a large stock pot on med. heat, sauté the carrots & onion in the oil until the onions are translucent. Add the ginger, salt, pepper, nutmeg, stock, & water. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low & simmer for 15-20 minutes or until all vegetables are cooked. I then took my very useful and handy hand blender & blended part of the soup (I like the carrot chunks) until it got a nice orange color to it. Yummy, warm, & just the thing in these freezing temperatures!

No comments:

Post a Comment