Vegan, Jane Austen student, Minimalist, Reader, Librarian

Sunday, April 5, 2009

Sharing Kitchen Memories

I’m really into this book right now: image

A Homemade Life: Stories and Recipes from My Kitchen Table by Molly Wizenberg, the creator of the addictive food blog, Orangette.

Wizenberg is not vegan by any means (in fact, her recipes make me almost cringe with their enormous amounts of butter, milk, eggs, and cream), but it’s her stories & reminiscences that are so beautifully written, they make me nod my head in complete agreement and understanding. As someone who also loves to cook and eat well, I associate many of the recipes I make with my own memories of family, situations, and childhood. This book perfectly captures that.

I first heard about this book on another blog I read, The Angry Chicken. That blogger is a stay-at-home mom/crafter/artist who lives in Oregon.

A Homemade Life would be the perfect gift for that cook you know who is in love with food.

Today I made some more biscotti (recipe posted on Feb. 7). Here are some pics of what the process looks like:

P4050160 the dough as I form the “logs” pre-baking

P4050163 cutting them after they’ve cooled for 10 minutes

P4050167 And the finished delectable-ness of it all as they cool on the pan!

I also made a batch of scones (recipe also posted on Feb. 7):

P4050178 The recipe made 12 scones in all.

Here’s my original 1951 kitchen—many people would be horrified but I find it charming in a June Cleaver/Donna Reed sort of way:

Kitchen

No comments:

Post a Comment