Vegan, Jane Austen student, Minimalist, Reader, Librarian

Thursday, April 16, 2009

Salads, Wraps & Other Good Things

I’m filling up the refrigerator with some good salads this week. On Tuesday morning, I made two. The first is a Tempeh Salad, adapted from How It All Vegan:

1 package tempeh, cubed
1/2 C Vegenaise
2 stalks celery hearts, diced
1 medium dill pickle, diced (I like Clausen brand)
1/2 medium onion, diced
2 tbsp fresh parsley (use 1 tsp dried if you don't have fresh)
2 tsp mustard
2 tsp Braggs or soy sauce
1 garlic clove, minced

In a skillet, steam the tempeh for about 15 minutes on medium heat. I added a few slices of lemon to it as well. This helps not only to cook the tempeh but also to remove some of the bitter taste it can have. I don’t taste it but some people do (like Jim). Remove from heat to cool. In a large bowl, combine remaining ingredients, then add the tempeh & toss lightly. Serve alone, on a bed of greens, or as a sandwich filling. Jim really enjoyed the tempeh prepared this way. We’re amazed and how much it looks and tastes like chicken salad.

The second was an adaptation of the Rice and Bean Salad from Feb. 16. Instead of rice, I used cooked pearl barley instead. The wonderful thing about barley is that 1/4 C raw (which expands to about 1/2 C cooked) has 8 grams of fiber! According to one web site, it has 50% more fiber & 50% less fat than oatmeal. So this whole food salad not only tastes wonderful but is very healthy, too.

P4140003

That’s the barley salad on the left and some of the Tempeh salad (for my lunch) on the right.

P4140005

For lunch before I went to work yesterday, I made a sandwich with the chickpea spread, lettuce, & avocado and a side of the barley salad.

Years ago, a very good friend gave me the book Wraps: Easy Recipes for Handheld Meals by Mary Corpening Barber, Sara Corpening, and Lori Lyn Narlock. The recipes are wonderful but they are not vegan. So now we’re trying to “veganize” them.

One favorite is the p b & g. It’s so good and comes together really well without the dairy or honey. This recipe serves 2.

peanut butter (we like Parker's Natural--sold both at Hollywood & Whole Foods in the refrigerated organic/vegan section)
2 10 inch flour tortillas (we like Mission)
1 sliced organic banana (cut about 1/4 inch thick)
1 C granola (we use our homemade, of course)
1/4 vanilla yogurt (we use So Delicious made with coconut milk from Whole Foods)
2 tsp agave nectar

Spread the peanut butter on warmed tortillas. Combine the rest of the ingredients in a small bowl then spoon the filling into each tortilla. Wrap and enjoy this delicious breakfast!

Finally, a good friend of mine stopped by for tea this morning. Since I know he loves apricots, I made this Apricot-Almond Loaf from Vive Le Vegan:

1/2 C ground oats
1/2 C sugar
1/3 C + 1/4 C toasted almond slivers (reserve the 1/4 C for garnish)
1 1/2 C flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp sea salt
1 C soy or rice milk
1 tbsp ground flaxseed meal
1/2 C applesauce
1/3-1/2 C dried apricots, chopped
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 tsp almond extract
2 1/2 tbsp oil (I used vegetable)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees & lightly oil bread pan. In a large mixing bowl, combine oats, sugar, 1/3 C almonds, nutmeg, & salt, then sift in flour, baking powder & baking soda. In a small bowl, combine milk with flaxseed meal & stir to combine. Add applesauce, apricots, extracts, & oil then mix well. Add wet mixture to dry then stir until just mixed. Pour into bread pan then sprinkle remaining 1/4 C almonds on top down the center. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown & toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool before serving.

Since his birthday is Sunday, I let him take the rest of it home!

P4150006

9 comments:

  1. Maria made the apricote-almond loaf and brought it to work. Yum! She suggested I make it; sadly, my cupboard is barren of flaxseed meal. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. What are ground oats, please? I hope to make this bread soon;).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Maria, besides my question about ground oats, please let me know if you use sulphured apricots or have used the untreated ones with success. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Shawn. Ground oats are just rolled oats (or quick oats) ground into almost a flour-like consistency. You could do this in either a food processor or coffee grinder (clean well of the coffee grounds before doing this or it will taste like coffee!).

    Also, I haven't found an unsulphured apricot that I like; they are too dry. So I just use the sulphured ones for now.

    Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the info! I was looking at apricots at Trader Joe's yesterday and though I try and avoid sulphur, I couldn't bring myself to get those ones. I wasn't sure if dried apricots that resembled shitake mushrooms would be nice in a sweet bread;)!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree! They DO look weird. I really like the dried apricots from Trader Joe's and they're a good price.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, that is a delicious bread! Not only do I love the apricots, the body of the bread is scrumptious!
    The apricots in my loaf however did sink to the bottom of the loaf. Do you have any ideas for me for the next time?
    Thank you for a wonderful recipe;)!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shawn, Sorry but I honestly don't know why that happened to your apricots! Glad it was still good. I'm sure this batter would be just as good made into muffins as well.

    ReplyDelete