Vegan, Jane Austen student, Minimalist, Reader, Librarian

Thursday, April 23, 2009

Oh, Boy

Well, it has begun. I heard my first lawn service today. It’s not even 50 degrees! Grrrr….

We are quiet people. I’ve only had a brief period in my life where I went out dancing almost every weekend at Clubland (remember that?!) in Detroit. Now my “going out” usually means hearing live music at the Taste Fest or Jazz Festival downtown, art fairs in the summer, hiking at Kensington Metro park, attending friends’ recitals or classical music concerts, and occasionally some live rock at the Magic Bag in Ferndale. Other than that, we pretty much like to be home, reading, gardening, cooking, playing music, and enjoying the nature and wildlife in our own yard. We have several bird houses and feeders so we get all kinds of colorful & beautiful-sounding birds and butterflies. We even get the occasional bunny. Amazingly, they do not even mess with the vegetables.

But noise is becoming more and more of a problem. I’m trying to ignore it but Jim is very averse to it. It has gotten worse since we moved back here to Royal Oak. Come to think of it, it got bad when we lived in Detroit for three years. Kind of made us more aware of how loud the world is. Loud, thumping music from cars passing by and dogs left out barking were our main annoyances.

I’ve always hated the sound of power equipment, especially lawn equipment. And since moving back to Royal Oak in 2004, we seem to have moved into a slightly wealthier neighborhood than we used to live in. I say this because almost every household on my street has a lawn service; this means that there’s a different service almost every day of the week in the summer. Unfortunately, I want to be outside in the summer, so this noise forces me inside not only because it’s ridiculously loud, but also because of the noxious fumes spewed about. I end up blasting my stereo to drown out the noise or trying to figure out where I can go for some quiet.

If that wasn’t bad enough, we seem to be in a direct flight path to Metro Airport. I’m sure it’s like this all over the metro Detroit area, but it seems really pronounced here. In fact, I remember my neighbor telling us this soon after we moved in. Hmmm…maybe that should have been a red flag?

Monday night, around 11:30pm, as we lay in bed trying to sleep, a plane flew over our house about every 20 minutes, making it difficult to fall asleep. I’d be almost there (you know that feeling) and then I’d hear a plane. So I pulled out our sound machine and plugged it in the kitchen so we could have some white noise.

I hate doing this but it’s the only thing that works.

Jim wants to move but I love my job and don’t want a long commute. If we move someplace very quiet in the “country” or “up north,” I either have to quit my job or drive far to another job in a small town that pays peanuts and isn’t busy at all. So I don’t think this will work.

I sometimes wonder that until we moved to Detroit, I didn’t notice the noise so much. I hate that this might make me sound old but it really bothers me. Does anyone else feel this way? I’d love to hear from you.

Anyway, this is what I ate for lunch yesterday. A Boca Chik patty on a whole wheat bun with a smear of Vegenaise & mixed greens, along with the roasted beets, potatoes, & some baby spinach. Yum!

P4210027

3 comments:

  1. I can sympathize, although at least my neighborhood is all done by the same lawn service (it's a condominium complex) so that noise is limited to one day a week. However, one of my neighbor's isn't satisfied with the amount of mowing the service does and chooses to mow hers herself...at eight am on Saturdays. We get our fair share of planes and helicopters as well. Also leaf blowers. Every time I hear them I think of a line from the William Shatner song I Can't Get Behind That that goes "Leaf blowers...is there anything more FUTILE?!" I'm with him on that one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boca Chik patties are so good! They remind me of when Brett and I were first dating. They were one of my first exposures to faux meat, and I was surprised at how tasty they were!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ummmm...yes, I'm sure you probably can guess that I agree with you. I moved to the outskirts of the city in part to escape the noise only to have noisy neighbors move in below us during our 2nd year here (dogs barking, arguing, doors slamming, yelling at dogs, etc.). It's less convenient for bike commuting to be here, but at the same time I really just want to live even farther away. If I didn't need to work in the city, it wouldn't be an issue, but unfortunately my stupid job has to take precedence. The only real answer is total deconstruction of the capitalist system.

    ReplyDelete