Vegan, Jane Austen student, Minimalist, Reader, Librarian

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

A Nice Warm Soup

It’s still cold here in Michigan, even though the calendar says it’s spring! I feel like I need a little bit of extra love today (read, comfort food) so I made a soup. This is a Chipotle Corn Black Bean Soup from Vive Le Vegan:

1 1/2-2 tbsp olive oil
1-1 1/2 C onion, chopped
3 medium to large garlic cloves, chopped
1/2 tsp sea salt
ground black pepper to taste
1 1/2 C celery, chopped
1 1/2 C carrots, chopped
4 tsp cumin (I used 3--this is a strong spice)
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp ground coriander
1/4 tsp ground cardamom
1/4-1/3 C sun-dried tomatoes, chopped (I didn't have so I left out)
3 1/2 C cooked black beans (about 2 14-oz cans)
2 C vegetable stock
1 1/2-2 C water
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 tsp tamari
1/2-1 tsp chipotle hot sauce (I used 1 tsp Tabasco)
2 bay leaves (I used 1)
1 1/2 C frozen corn kernels
fresh lime wedges (for serving)
1 avocado, sliced, for garnish (I didn't have anymore today! :( )

I didn't measure any of the onions, celery, or carrots--I just eyeballed it.

In a large pot over medium heat, heat the oil. Add onions, garlic, salt & pepper. Stir, cover & let cook for a few minutes. Add celery, carrots, spices, & tomatoes, stir, cover, & let cook 5-7 minutes or until vegetables begin to soften. Add beans,stock, 1 1/2 C water (reserve 1/2 C), balsamic vinegar, tamari, hot sauce, & bay leaf. Increase heat & bring to a boil, then reduce to simmer, cover, & let cook for 15-20 minutes. Remove bay leaves, & using a hand blender, puree the soup until somewhat smooth but still has chunks of goodies in it. Stir in the corn &, if you want to thin the soup, the reserved 1/2 C water (mine didn't need this). Cover & let soup simmer for a few more minutes. Season to taste with salt, pepper, and/or hot sauce. Serve with lime wedges & avocado.

We ate it with a side salad of the warmed potato salad I made yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment