Vegan, Jane Austen student, Minimalist, Reader, Librarian

Friday, March 27, 2009

More Vegan Delights!

I know. What a boring title to today’s blog entry. I’ve been browsing other vegan blogs lately & think that maybe I need to add some pictures to show you what delicious food I eat? Or to make it more exciting? The problem is that I’m usually too eager to eat whatever I’ve made to take the time to photograph it! And, besides, it might get cold. I’ll think about it.

The other day while grocery shopping at Hollywood Market, I picked up some frozen Jerusalem Foods Falafil (that’s how they spelled falafel, with an “i”). I cooked them in the toaster oven & I crumbled them & ate them in a pita with lettuce, onions, avocado, & Vegenaise. It was good but I think I will try sautéing them in a skillet in a little oil next time. I prefer to make my own but it takes extra time so I thought I’d give these a try. Not bad but mine are better.

I also found some Olga’s flat bread in the freezer section & for lunch today, I warmed one in a lightly oiled skillet & spread it with J.’s bean hummus, baby lettuce, onions, & sliced avocado. It was delicious. But it’s weird that you only get 5 flat breads in the package, so it was a little expensive at $3.99. But good to enjoy once in a while.

Last night we made another stir fry, this time using roasted cashews, zucchini, onions, carrots, baby spinach, & green pepper with a sauce from the Moosewood Cookbook. We ate it with a mix of jasmine & basmati rice.

And, for dessert yesterday I made the Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Cake from Nava Atlas’ Vegan Express. It came out great & was the first dessert I’ve tried from her book. Instead of applesauce though (which I didn’t have) I used a small banana. I could also have used soft tofu if I didn’t have the banana.

Oil for pan (I use Pam Organic Cooking Spray)
1 C whole wheat pastry flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/3 C sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 C applesauce (or banana or soft tofu)
1/2 C rice or soy milk
1/2 C natural peanut butter AT ROOM TEMPERATURE (my favorite right now is Parkers’ All Natural Creamy found in the butter & cheese section at Hollywood Market)
1 C vegan semisweet chocolate chips (Trader Joe's sells them for only $1.99)
1/3 C chopped peanuts, optional

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly oil a 9-inch square or round cake pan.
2. Combine flour, baking powder, salt, & sugar in a mixing bowl & stir together.
3. Combine applesauce, rice or soy milk, & peanut butter in another bowl & whisk together until smooth. Because I used banana, I used my blender.
4. Pour liquid mixture into flour mixture & stir until well blended.
5. Stir in chocolate chips & optional peanuts. Pour into prepared pan. My batter came out thick so I just spooned the batter into the pan.
6. Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden on top & toothpick inserted comes out with chocolate but no batter.
7. Allow to cool to room temperature or just warm, then cut into squares or wedges to serve.

It came out very moist. They would also make good cupcakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment