Vegan, Jane Austen student, Minimalist, Reader, Librarian

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Hummus Made with Home Grown Beans

J. is the real gardener around here. I love a few pots of flowers but starting things from seeds grown indoors under plant lights in early March, transplanting them (oh, so carefully) into the garden beds in May, & managing them once they start producing veggies seems like lots of work to me (and a little boring, too). But I’m grateful to have them & eat them and they are very pretty & good tasting! So I wouldn’t change anything. Thank goodness my husband loves doing it so I can reap the benefits of home grown veggies. He’s the one who even plants the jalapeno, cherry tomatoes, herbs, & pepper plants I buy.

To give you an example of how dedicated J. is, he not only grows the beans, he dries the pods & then removes the beans to dry—usually on the counter for several days (although it would be nice to have a little indoor porch off our kitchen since we don’t have much counter space).

On Monday, he soaked a blend of beans in water to cook & make a hummus on Tuesday. He adapted a recipe from the Chipotle Lime Two-Bean Hummus from Eat, Drink & Be Vegan:

2 C cooked beans
4 tbsp fresh lime juice
1 1/2-2 tbsp tahini
1 clove garlic, sliced
2-2 1/2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 1/2 tsp chipotle hot sauce (we use Tabasco)
1 tsp agave nectar
1/16-1/8 tsp allspice
1-2 tbsp water (to thin dip as desired)

In a food processor, combine all except water. Puree until very smooth, gradually adding water as needed to thin dip. Stop processor & scrape down sides of bowl as necessary. If serving to guests (or just for fun), add chopped fresh cilantro & stir in.

Yesterday, after grocery shopping, I made a pan of roasted red potatoes, zucchini, carrots, & onions with 3 tbsp olive oil. I used a 9 x 12 size pan & lined it with 2 sheets of parchment paper, tossed in all the chopped veggies, then drizzled the olive oil, adding sea salt & the juice of 1/2 of a lemon & stirring it all together. Then I baked it for 45 minutes. I served it with chopped Tofurkey brand Italian soy “sausage” that I sautéed in a skillet with a tbsp of olive oil. We also ate the hummus on crackers. So good!

No comments:

Post a Comment