Vegan, Jane Austen student, Minimalist, Reader, Librarian

Saturday, April 11, 2009

Eating Out in Ann Arbor

We attended a wonderful flute recital this afternoon at the Kerrytown Concert House, a very neat old house turned concert venue. A flutist I know had a recital “just for fun.” I hadn’t been there before even though I lived in Ann Arbor for a year and a half back in 1990-91. I was charmed by the old house, its art gallery-intimate atmosphere, the red brick streets, and the beautiful architecture of the businesses in the neighborhood.

Afterwards, we walked six blocks to Seva, a vegetarian restaurant that I hadn’t been to in years. I ate a half portion of a Thai spicy peanut salad, with mixed greens, roasted peanuts, shredded carrots, mung bean sprouts, & cucumbers with a peanut cilantro lime dressing. I also ordered a side of sautéed tofu to add to my salad. Jim ordered a penne pasta dish with soy “sausage,” portabella mushrooms, garlic, rosemary, & red pepper along with a side salad. I also had a cup of hibiscus herbal tea afterwards, unfortunately served in an ugly dark blue mug. You’ll laugh but these things matter to me.

While the food was very good, I still think the Inn Season in Royal Oak is much better in that its menu is more unique, its atmosphere quiet and calming. Also, the ambiance is charming with its natural light, light-colored walls, real wood furniture, & beautiful cups and tea pots. For me, presentation and atmosphere matters as much as the food itself and the Inn Season meets those requirements.

One thing I will say about eating vegan (either at home or in a restaurant) is that after I eat, I don’t feel the heaviness I used to feel when I ate animal products. I feel satisfied, not stuffed. I feel good.

Afterwards, we visited the People’s Food Co-op, a small local natural foods market. We bought an odd mix of strawberry jam, some dark chocolate (for Jim) and rice milk chocolate (for me), some locally made lip balm, and Eco Dent dental floss.

It was a great date!

1 comment:

  1. Welcome to Blogger! I just made the move from Livejournal myself. I think it's a nice change.

    I agree with you about presentation, it's very important to me also. There are restaurants with food I really like that I never want to go to because they're dark/loud/ugly. Loud is especially unpleasant. I like to be able to hear the conversation during a meal.

    ReplyDelete