Vegan, Jane Austen student, Minimalist, Reader, Librarian

Friday, March 20, 2009

Creamy Hummus

I know, you’re probably thinking, man this girl eats a lot of hummus! But I love it. And I make so many different kinds there’s a great variety. For you meat eaters out there, think of it as your lunch meat, always in the fridge for a quick meal when you don’t feel like cooking.

I’ve always loved sandwich spreads (and, no, I don’t mean Miracle Whip—we were a Hellmann's Real Mayo household). I still remember the chicken spread that my grand aunt Sonia used to make when I was a little girl; I’d feel so special that she always had some just for me to take home. My mom also bought a ham spread from Farmer Jack that I liked. And, of course, tuna mixed with all the fixings was also a staple for sandwiches.

Since becoming vegan, hummus & other bean spreads are my delicious alternatives. I’ve even found some great recipes for avocado & roasted garlic spreads. The variety is endless.

The hummus I made today is adapted from Vive le Vegan:

1 15-16 oz can chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
3 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 tbsp tahini
2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1 small or medium clove garlic, sliced
1/2 tsp toasted sesame oil (dark)
1/2 tsp sea salt
3-4 tbsp water (or less/more as desired)
ground black pepper to taste

Combine all in a food processor or blender & puree until very smooth, adding a little water at first, then more if desired to thin it. Scrape down sides of bowl several times throughout & puree again until very smooth. Season to taste with more sea salt, pepper, &/or lemon juice. Serve in a bowl drizzled with more extra-virgin olive oil.

No comments:

Post a Comment