Vegan, Jane Austen student, Minimalist, Reader, Librarian

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Brief glimpse of spring is over

Music: Andrew Bird

Here’s a small clipping from my lilac (I call her Lucie) outside of my dining room window, that I snipped yesterday. It was smashed up against the front porch awning and couldn’t be seen, so I brought it inside. Today it is smelling ever so fragrant as I wash my dishes.

P4280044

This shrub usually blooms just before my birthday so it’s a little weird to actually have some before May. Even though lilacs only bloom for barely two weeks, I love them and their scent. Mine is over ten feet tall in a little over four years!

It’s back to the normal April weather here in Michigan today. I’m also looking for some sunshine but it hasn’t yet come through.

I work at the library tonight and Jim is off today, so we made some lentil soup for lunch because the weather just seemed to call for it. This recipe is adapted from The Moosewood Cookbook:

1/2 tbsp olive oil
several small cloves of garlic, minced
1 small onion, diced
1 large carrot, chopped in small chunks
2 stalks celery hearts, diced
1 1/2 C dry lentils, picked through (for stones) and rinsed
3 C vegetable stock

In a large soup pot, sauté garlic & onion in olive oil until onions are translucent. Add vegetable stock and bring to a boil, then add the rest of the ingredients and simmer for about 20 minutes or until lentils are softened. We ate it with some leftover bean salad with all the fixings.

I also made some chocolate chip muffins, adapted from a carob chip muffin recipe from Vive Le Vegan:

2 C barley flour
1/2 C sugar
1/3 C chocolate chips
1/4 C unsweetened shredded coconut
1/4 tsp sea salt
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp almond extract
1 C soy milk
3 tbsp pure maple syrup
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 C vegetable oil

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a large mixing bowl, combine all the dry ingredients, sifting in the baking powder & soda. In another small bowl, combine all the liquids. Add wet ingredients to the dry mixture and stir until just mixed. Spoon into a muffin tin lined with cupcake liners or lightly oiled. Bake about 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out squeaky clean. My batch made 12 muffins. Absolutely delicious; I ate mine still warm with some herbal tea.

P4280046

2 comments:

  1. I really like your little vase-holder thing. I'd love something like that for my own kitchen. Was it there when you moved in or did you purchase it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I bought it at a little shop in Petoskey, MI, while visiting friends many years ago.

    ReplyDelete