Vegan, Jane Austen student, Minimalist, Reader, Librarian

Sunday, March 29, 2009

Banana Bliss Pancakes…

and a whole lot more!

I realized today that even though I’ve mentioned J.’s fabulous pancakes in the past, I’ve never posted any actual recipes. Most people wonder, how in the world can you make pancakes without eggs? Or butter? Or milk? But he does and they are so good, smooth, moist, & hearty.

Banana Bliss Pancakes (adapted from Vive Le Vegan by Dreena Burton)

1/2 C whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 C barley flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
1/8 tsp sea salt
1 C + 1 tbsp soymilk
3 tbsp water*
1 tbsp egg replacer*
1 tbsp almond oil
1 medium-large ripe banana (slice HALF of it)

In a large bowl, add the flour & baking powder. Add cinnamon, nutmeg, & salt, & stir to combine. In a blender, add HALF of the banana, the soymilk, & oil & blend well. Add the wet mixture to the dry & fold in the other HALF of the banana, sliced.

Heat a lightly oiled skillet (J. uses soy margarine) over medium high heat (on our electric stove, we set it to #4 on the dial). Using a ladle, scoop the batter into the skillet to form pancakes. Cook for a few minutes until small bubbles start to form on the outer edge of the pancakes and then the center. Check bottom to see if golden brown, then flip to cook other side for a couple minutes. Keep warm in a pan in the oven (set to 170 degrees) until all batter is gone.

*These are NOT in the original recipe but J. adds it because he finds that it helps keep the pancakes from sticking, since we don't use nonstick pans.

pancakes

We served them with some Gimme Lean vegan “sausage” patties. A treat on Sundays!

breakfast

breakfast2

This is my pretty plate (with butterflies & strawberries on it, one of three that I found at the Salvation Army).

For lunch yesterday I made a chickpea salad (see blog post from Jan. 13) served in whole wheat pita bread with lettuce & avocado. I also made this Lemony Couscous with Broccoli from Vegan Express:

Broccoli

3/4 C couscous
2 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, quartered & thinly sliced
3 C finely chopped broccoli florets (I didn't measure, I just used all 3 bunches I bought)
1/4 C minced fresh parsley
2 tbsp minced fresh dill (I used 1 tsp dried)
Juice of 1 lemon
1/3 C oil-packed sliced sun-dried tomatoes or chopped pitted black olives (I didn't have so I left out)

1. Combine couscous w/ 1 1/2 C boiling water in a heatproof container. Cover & let stand 10 minutes, then fluff w/fork. I just boiled the water in a saucepan, then removed it from the heat, added the couscous, covered & let stand for 10 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large skillet. Add onion & sauté over medium heat until golden.
3. Add the broccoli & just enough water to keep the bottom of the skillet moist, then cover & allow to steam until broccoli is bright green & tender-crisp, about 4 minutes.
4. Add the couscous to the skillet along with parsley, dill, lemon juice, the other 1 tbsp olive oil, & tomatoes. Stir together well, cook for 2-3 minutes more, then serve.

I added a little salt to taste but when I reheat this, I will add a few tablespoons of tomato puree as it needed a little more flavor. I also might try cooking the couscous with a vegetable bouillon next time instead of just plain water to infuse more flavor. And I prefer my broccoli in bigger chunks than this recipe called for to taste it better. Trial & error. I like my food flavorful and this was a 5 on a scale from 1 to 10.

This afternoon, I also made an Apple Crisp from The Garden of Vegan to use up some apples that I didn’t really care for on their own:

6 apples of your choice, cored & chopped
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 C soy margarine
1/2 C flour
1/2 C sugar
1 C rolled oat flakes (I used quick-cook oats)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place apples in a 9-inch baking dish (I used a round glass pie dish). Sprinkle the cinnamon on top of the apples. In a large mixing bowl, stir together the margarine, flour, sugar, & oat flakes. Sprinkle that mixture on top of the apples & bake for 45 minutes or until top is golden brown.

applecrumble

I haven’t eaten dinner yet, so I’ll have to let you know how this tastes, but it looks & smells wonderful, doesn’t it?!

No comments:

Post a Comment