Vegan, Jane Austen student, Minimalist, Reader, Librarian

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Another Delicious Lunch

I don’t work until the evening today so I had time to do a little cooking. Good thing, too, because I’m having a sort of bad day due to Daylight Savings Time. I just can’t seem to adjust or it’s just taking me a lot longer than usual. Today I had some sort of alarm clock trouble (it appears to have lost power briefly) & I overslept until 7:45am (I usually wake up at 6am). I knew I was in trouble when I saw that it was light out & not dark like yesterday morning! So my routine is all off & I feel odd.

I made Jesse’s Cuban Sensation from The Garden of Vegan with some variations as I didn’t have every single ingredient listed. But it was still good.

1 small onion, diced
2-4 cloves of garlic, minced (I used 3)
1 small green bell pepper, diced
1 small red bell pepper (I didn't have but I used roasted red peppers as a garnish instead)
2 jalapeno peppers, seeded & diced (I didn't have fresh so used some slices of jarred--not a lot or it will be very hot & spicy)
1 tbsp olive oil
1 C jasmine rice (I used 1 1/2 C)
3 C vegetable stock (I used 2 & 1 C plain water)
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper (I omit because I find the jalapeno peppers hot enough)
2 C cooked or canned black beans (I just use 1 15 oz can)
2 tbsp lime juice (I didn't have so used 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar)

In a large pan on medium heat, sauté the onion, garlic, peppers, & jalapenos in oil until onions are translucent. Add rice, stock, thyme, salt, pepper, & beans. Bring to a boil then lower heat to simmer for 15 minutes until rice is cooked & water is almost all absorbed. Stir in lime juice & let stand 5 minutes before serving.

I served it with a salad from Vegan Express, again with some variations:

1 15 oz can of chickpeas, drained & rinsed
1 C packed grated carrots
1/2 C minced fresh parsley (I used 2 tsp dried)
2-3 scallions, green parts only, thinly sliced (I used a quarter of a white onion)
1/2 C chopped green pimiento-stuffed (aka Spanish) olives
Juice of 1/2 to 1 lemon, to taste (I didn't have so used 1 tbsp white wine vinegar)
2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp ground cumin
Salt & pepper to taste

Combine all & serve. I served mine over a a handful of baby spinach for extra greens.

No comments:

Post a Comment